When we decided to start another show format with Book Club, we were hopeful that it would force us to either catch up and discover for the first time a multitude of webcomics that every fan should have on their virtual (or real, as the case may be) bookshelves. It’s Steve’s turn to pick again and his decision to delve into the deep catalog of Rich Burlew’s Order of the Stick is one that I’m already approving of.
But before we enjoy that, what good news is there on offer? Find out with the Digital Strips News Minute!
- 6:09 - Saturday Morning Breakfast Cereal book (Save Yourself, Mammal!) incoming (via Forbes)
- 6:44 – reMIND Book One coming in early June (pre-orders)
- 7:13 – Teenage Satan webcomic/app/game experience to begin in September (via USA Today’s PopCandy blog)
- 9:31 - The System‘s Rosscott ponders web design issues/ideas in webcomics
- 12:22 – David Malki ! faces IP theft in the form of T-shirts (via Fleen)
- 13:47 – Free Comic Book Day (was this last Saturday, sorry)
- 14:39 – Dialogue Free Comics Day is May 13th (2010 edition here)
Mentioned but not featured in the News Minute are:
- 11:54 – Minion Comics
- 11:55 – Adventures of Supergirl
- 14:13 – My Sister, The Freak
- 15:29 – Ryan Estrada
- 15:35 – Wes Molebash
Whew! After that bloated first segment, why not let the light, bouncy techno sounds of Hot Fire’s, “Them Never Love No Bans – DnB Mix (Germany)” cut the load and prepare you for the morsel that is our Book of the Month Club pick, likely for the foreseeable future (and possibly the year after that).
As mentioned, we’re taking a good, hard, long look at the deep archives of Order of the Stick (18:45) for our third edition of Book Club. It’s great fun and takes on the genre comedy challenge in a unique and unexpected way, one that forces the reader to bring a little something extra to the experience. The subject matter at hand brings us to another webcomics that is both unsurprising in terms of its similarities and striking in its differences.
- (30:30) Looking for Group
Steve also mentions an older show, the first-ever DS Livecast (short-lived but maybe returning someday?) which featured Order of the Stick, which neither of us had anything to do with.
Listen in for our thoughts on this long-running classic fantasy webcomic and let us know where you stand! Hunker in, because this Book Club is likely to carry us right into the holiday season! Good thing I’m already wearing my +9 Scaled Undergarments of Uncomfortable Warmth.